Friday 14 May 2010

Friday Flash - First Impressions

For today's Friday Flash, I've decided to do something a little different. I'd like you all to meet Fowlis Westerby, the star of my first novel. He's very pleased to make your acquaintance.

First Impressions

The cavalier stands poised at the end of the corridor. He holds out his sword, proud that his hand does not quake. Facing four enemies would perhaps defeat a lesser man, but Fowlis Westerby never backs down from a fight.

He hears a door open along the hall. He has only moments. He preens the immense feather in his hat with his spare hand. He is nothing if not fastidious. Intimidation is a valuable weapon, and what could be more intimidating than a cavalier dressed in all his finery?

Four young women approach. Each of them wears a bright pink ballerina outfit, complete with legwarmers and garish tutu. They all wear plastic tiaras in their bouffant hairdos. One of the four wears a tiara rather bigger than the others. A white sash thrown over her shoulder marks her out to be a 'Bride in Training'. They squawk at each other about drinking games and flashing their underwear at men.

"En garde!" shouts Fowlis.

All four women stop their chatter and look at him. They take in the sword, and the splendid attire. They remember the previous night; doors slamming, taps running of their own accord, writing appearing on steamy mirrors. The trainee bride turns white first; her cronies follow suit. They flee. He can hear their screams echoing throughout the house as they seek refuge in the gardens outside.

Fowlis smiles. Whoever assigned him a house rented to hen parties must have known this would pose no challenge, yet he is pleased nonetheless. This is why he is Ghostmaster General - he is the best.

16 comments:

Aislinn O'Connor said...

Very pleased to make the acquaintance of such a dashing cavalier - such a pity no-one's going to believe the girls when they get home... Will look forward to further appearances by the Ghostmaster General :-)

Jen said...

Whoa! I read this one twice. I do like this guy. And I really wonder what he's up to. What a scene!

Icy Sedgwick said...

I love Fowlis...he's such fun to write!

Anonymous said...

He reminds me a little of Cyrano de Bergerac, one of my favourite characters by Edmond Rostand. Love a bit of chivalry, and ghost-like mystery.
Adam

mazzz_in_Leeds said...

ha - can you send Fowlis to Leeds to scare away some of the hen horrors that grace our streets every weekend?!

Jodi Cleghorn said...

Mazz - you crack me up!

I had to read this a second time to really appreciate it... as I was expecting four enemies of a less "hen's party demeanour." Can't wait to read more of this.

*Curtsies to Fowlis.* Pleased to make your acquaintance.

Icy Sedgwick said...

Mazz - I've got dibs on him for clearing the ones in London!

In my head, Fowlis looks like Gabriel Byrne in The Man In The Iron Mask.

Anonymous said...

Fowlis is quite dashing, and he seems like he'd be fun to write.

Very enjoyable.

Donald Conrad said...

Yeah, I could see him preening that overlarge feather. A cavalier aye. Ghostmaster General as well. Hmmm, got any more?

Carrie Clevenger said...

Adorable. I liked meeting him. :)

Tomara Armstrong said...

HA! Love it! I can't wait to read more :-)
~2

Sam said...

A pleasure to make your aquaintence Master Westerby. :)

Icy Sedgwick said...

I'm so pleased everyone's taken to Fowlis. I don't feel half as nervous about his novel now! (I refer to it as 'his' novel as he's been bugging me to finish it for about two years!)

Cat Russell said...

Loved this. Wasn't familiar with the term 'hen parties' but I think I get the meaning. Nicely done. Fowlis has style.

Chris Chartrand said...

Alright Icy I'm in. Sign me up for the pre-order.

Crybbe666 said...

Just read this after your latest post. Fantastic character (especially the preening of the feather!)
I am glad he has bugged you to write his novel - should be a ripper!

Post a Comment